1. Take a pencil to write with on aeroplanes. Pens leak. But if the pencil breaks, you can’t sharpen it on the plane, because you can’t take knives with you. Therefore: take two pencils.
2. If both pencils break, you can do a rough sharpening job with a nail file of the metal or glass type.
3. Take something to write on. Paper is good. In a pinch, pieces of wood or your arm will do.
4. If you’re using a computer, always safeguard new text with a memory stick.
5. Do back exercises. Pain is distracting.
6. Hold the reader’s attention. (This is likely to work better if you can hold your own.) But you don’t know who the reader is, so it’s like shooting fish with a slingshot in the dark. What fascinates A will bore the pants off B.
7. You most likely need a thesaurus, a rudimentary grammar book, and a grip on reality. This latter means: there’s no free lunch. Writing is work. It’s also gambling. You don’t get a pension plan. Other people can help you a bit, but – essentially you’re on your own. Nobody is making you do this: you chose it, so don’t whine.
8. You can never read your own book with the innocent anticipation that comes with that first delicious page of a new book, because you wrote the thing. You’ve been backstage. You’ve seen how the rabbits were smuggled into the hat. Therefore ask a reading friend or two to look at it before you give it to anyone in the publishing business. This friend should not be someone with whom you have a romantic relationship, unless you want to break up.
9. Don’t sit down in the middle of the woods. If you’re lost in the plot or blocked, retrace your steps to where you went wrong. Then take the other road. And/or change the person. Change the tense. Change the opening page.
10. Prayer might work. Or reading something else. Or a constant visualization of the holy grail that is the finished, published version of your resplendent book.
- franklymissshankly reblogged this from booksloveback
- shereenwritesthings reblogged this from lhdavis
- thewritingresource reblogged this from teachingliteracy
- thewritingresource likes this
- impromptu-manifesto reblogged this from explore-blog
- getintothecar reblogged this from explore-blog
- rianapos reblogged this from teachingliteracy
- krishpatel reblogged this from explore-blog
- affection--erection reblogged this from teachingliteracy
- amandaandhat reblogged this from explore-blog
- rianapos likes this
- majestial reblogged this from coffeeandstrange
- majestial likes this
- katerinascafeodonnell likes this
- theteatimebooknook reblogged this from booksloveback
- delvingdeep reblogged this from explore-blog
- merriedestefano reblogged this from jocelynndrake
- otawriter likes this
- poodamachi likes this
- speakeeasyy reblogged this from teachingliteracy
- huntedandgathered likes this
- jandirafeijo reblogged this from cartanautica
- xtina-marks-the-spot likes this
- whimsicalbeast likes this
- murderessmeliss reblogged this from chadmichaelward
- nohanzaihere reblogged this from yellow-sunflowers
- yellow-sunflowers reblogged this from explore-blog
- samanthaface likes this
- beanarie reblogged this from sirona-gs
- elenaflutterby reblogged this from wdarcy
- amorremanet likes this
- atmilliways reblogged this from explore-blog
- afantasist reblogged this from teachingliteracy
- laikaaon likes this
- benotafraidoffear likes this
- sardosycserokyric reblogged this from teachingliteracy
- deanxstiles reblogged this from hedgehogandravenbooks
- hedgehogandravenbooks reblogged this from teachingliteracy
- muchmorerealthanlife likes this
- jacquelineroarsloud likes this
- in-a-land-apart reblogged this from lets-radiate-love
- booksloveback reblogged this from teachingliteracy
- takeitwithme likes this
- smallbombs likes this
- ibleedmusic reblogged this from thewritetohappiness
- thewritetohappiness reblogged this from lets-radiate-love
- lets-radiate-love reblogged this from apposita
- paperheartsplasticroses reblogged this from teachingliteracy
- madgrad2011 reblogged this from explore-blog